George, Terrie, Heather, Josh, Angel, Daniel

Monday, April 24, 2017

The missing puzzle piece!

ARE YOU A PUZZLE PIECE?

I enjoy jigsaw puzzles once in a while. We spend hours looking for that one piece that is a perfect match. The piece has to fit on all sides, each angle and indent matching. If we try to fit another piece in that spot it doesn’t work. We can try pushing and turning the piece but it will not fit.

As Mothers ,homeschoolers, teachers etc. we often try to make our child “FIT”. Our children, as well as we ourselves, were made by God and have a unique purpose. We fit in a special place. I read a quote that talked about each of us fitting in someone else’s life. With out that puzzle piece (us) that person's life will not be complete.

This speaks to me in two ways, The first being that we need to teach and guide our children without trying to make them something they are not. They each have special and unique talents, attitudes, and abilities given them by God. We cannot and should not try to make them "fit".

I have been actively homeschooling for 25 years. My four children and 2 grandchildren are all different. They learn differently, they help in different ways, they have different character qualities, and respond differently. As their mother/teacher I need to teach and guide them in ways that they understand. This is not always easy! They are all different! It seems like just as we get comfortable with one teaching style we have to change things up! Be patient, (I am speaking to myself), be kind, let them be who they are.

 My homeschool day looks so different now with my youngest son(who has ADHD) and two granddaughters, than when I began teaching my oldest daughter 25 years ago! But that is okay!

Secondly, I realize that I too am a puzzle piece. God has placed me in peoples lives for a reason. I may not always know the reason. We may never know the impact we have on someone else. A smile,a pat on the back,or encouraging words may be just what the child in your church class, the young mother, or visitor at church  needs. Don’t underestimate the impact you can make in someone’s life. We here the phrase “Bloom where you are Planted”. Take time to be that mother, teacher, friend, neighbor or spouse that God has called you to be.

Phil. 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.

2 comments: